Psychosocial Rehabilitation (PSR)
Mental Health Kokua offers a Maui therapeutic day rehabilitative social skill building service which allows individuals with serious mental illness to gain the social and communication skills necessary to allow them to remain in or return to naturally occurring community settings.
Group skill building activities that focus on the development of problem-solving techniques; social skills; medication education; and symptom management.
All services provided must be part of the individual’s plan of care. The therapeutic value of the specific therapeutic recreational activities must be clearly described and justified in the plan of care. At a minimum the plan of care must define the goals/objectives for the individual, educate the individual about his/her mental illness, how to avoid complications and relapse, and provide opportunities for him/her to learn basic living skills and improve interpersonal skills. Services include, but are not limited to, individual or group skill building activities that focus on the development of problem-solving techniques, self-medication skills, cognitive and psychosocial functioning, and illness management.
Program goals include:
- To facilitate the development of an individual’s skills in their living, learning, social and working environments, including the ability to make decisions regarding self-care, management of illness, life work, and community participation.
- To promote the use of resources to integrate the consumer into the community;
- To empower consumers to influence and shape service development through active consumer participate in both formal and informal structures;
- To enhance self-management of symptoms, medications and side effects, identification of rehabilitation preferences, setting rehabilitation goals, and skills development;
- To Attaining, maintaining, and utilizing skills and resources needed to aid in each consumer’s own rehabilitation and recovery.
The PSR program provides meals for consumers if programming occurs during normal mealtime. The PSR service shall also provide transportation to and from the service for consumers who do not have access to transportation.
Hours of Operation:
The program operates Monday through Friday from 9 am to 3 pm. The PSR service shall operates for twenty-five (25) hours per week, including weekend activities and at least two (2) weekday evenings until 8:00 P.M.
For more information, please call (808) 244-7405.